Eid in Dubai with Shoppiesta
Get ready for the spectacular inaugural edition of an annual event that will add more joy to the Eid al-Fitr festivities. Shoppiesta is planned to be the only event of its kind in the UAE, which will bring together exhibitors, entertainers and consumers in a single location.
UPDATES : Dubai: Organisers of an upcoming Eid event in Dubai have announced three more artists after two of the star performers cancelled.
Jamaican pop and reggae star Sean Paul, American singer and former Destiny’s Child member Kelly Rowland and rapper T-Pain have been confirmed, said Radhesh Menon, director for the five-day Shoppiesta to be held at Meydan from August 31.
“We want to make fans of international music happy since we have other artists for all the themed nights,” he added.
The announcement follows cancellation by Indian superstar Shah Rukh Khan and American rapper 50 Cent, who were two of the biggest names in the line-up of stars scheduled to perform at the event, billed as a consumer fair with shopping and a host of attractions planned around the concerts.
While Khan dropped out due to the unavailability of his co-star Kareena Kapoor, who also features in his upcoming superhero flick Ra.One, 50 Cent’s unavailability was due to a “communication breakdown”, said Menon.
“Ever since we signed the contract and announced the event, various agents have been in touch with us claiming to officially represent the artist,” he told tabloid! earlier. “Because of the confusion, we have decided to cancel the contract and claim back the money we’ve already paid for the artist.”
Each day of the five-day festival is themed with Arabic, Filipino, Indian and other international artists performing every night.
Bollywood stars Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone, Shahid Kapoor, Jacqueline Fernandez and Malaika Arora Khan have been roped in to replace Khan and his entourage while Paul, Rowland and T-Pain will perform in place of 50 Cent on the final night.
Other performers still on the roster include Lebanese singers Nancy Ajram and Melheim Zein, Filipino pop and R&B band South Border, girl band Mocha Girls, Iranian diva Googoosh and Indian singers Hariharan and Shankar Mahadevan.
Menon said tickets will go on sale on Wednesday.
It is a consumer exhibition that encompasses an array of attractions – right from electronics & home appliances to health & beauty and adventure rides to international cuisines. Shoppiesta is conceptualised to offer memorable times in plenty at a prestigious venue.
• First-ever annual consumer lifestyle fair in the UAE
• Unique adventure rides for the first time in Dubai
• Guinness World Record Attempt at Venue
• Over 14 exhibitor categories and 1 million expected visitors
• Five days of stage shows, musical concerts and cultural performances
Concerts List :
- Day 1 : August 31th 2011 : Nancy Ajram & Melhem Zein
- Day 2 : September 1st : South Border & Mocha Girls
- Day 3 : September 2nd : GooGoosh
- Day 4 : September 3rd : Hariharan & Shankar Mahadevan
- Day 4 : September 4th : 50 Cent
Some of the adventure rides to be featured at the event will be experienced for the first time in the UAE. The attractions include:
- Freefall tower: Get ready for a thrilling stunt, which will take you for an amazing ride, every single time that you try it. One of the most exciting and unique extreme sport activities, the freefall tower simulates a parachute drop from a height of 14 metres. Metal cable is used to bear your weight, so you land him safely after a near freefall sensation.
- Human gyroscope: The tool that was invented for training jet pilots and astronauts is now on the loose. Get inside to roll and tumble as the interconnecting spheres try to push you to the limits. This sport will definitely lead you to the very edge.
- Bungee running: Run as far as you can with bungee cords attached to the back. The one who gets farthest wins…a huge tug backwards!
- BMX show: Experience the power and skill of BMXers as they catch an incredible 12 ft of air above a vertical quarter pipe. The BMX display brings extreme entertainment coupled with lightning sport stunts.
- Sumo wrestling: Check out the fun take on one of the most popular and oldest sport originating from China, the very heart of Asia. Wear hilarious giant sumo suits and compete against your friends for ring supremacy and pride.
- Wall climbing: Climbing a wall is as exciting as it gets. It gets doubly so when you are pitted against friends and family to see who comes out on top.
- Rodeo raft: Test your balancing skills on a structure which keeps moving in all directions. The rodeo raft will make sure that it lands you off your feet.
- RTA driving school: The learning school for your little ones, where kids can be taught how to drive and even awarded a kids’ driver’s license. They also get to test drive scaled down models of the best cars, which will be entertaining as well as informative.
Shoppiesta will not just offer a dedicated adventure zone across five days, but also welcome every visitor each day with an array of themed attractions and performances:
• Inaugural Day: Opening Day special performances including Elements of Life by Dubai Drummers
• Day 2: UAE Heritage Day featuring cultural performances, fire drummers, mascots and more
• Day 3: Children’s Day for letting the young visitors take the lead followed by an exclusive concert by renowned artists in the evening
• Day 4: Talent Day providing a platform for visitors to be in the limelight with their families and friends
• Day 5: Carnival Day showcasing a multi-cultural repertoire as well as live fireworks to enthral one and all
To learn more about the prestigious venue for the inaugural edition of Shoppiesta, please visit www.meydan.ae